zondag 20 januari 2008

Cuesta-Rey Centenario Pyramid No.9


When I visited the cigar shop Tabaco in Hasselt ( a great website, a big shop, one of the biggest humidors I have ever seen and very friendly host!), I inmediately saw a couple of large boxes with Cuesta-Rey cigars. As they are one of the oldest cigar brands, I never smoked one. So I picked up both a Pyramid No.9 and the maduro version.

So when I got home, I lighted it up quite fast, with a lot of hopes to watch "The war of the world" on tv. Beautiful, grand cigar, with the impressive torpedo, it just looked great in my hand.
Upon lighting it up, it got smoking really fast, leaving me enjoying it right away. Puff after puff, it burned evenly, and all the signs of a great cigarmaker were there.

For the taste, I was somehow dissapointed. Not a powerhouse, but for this expensive big cigar it lacked complexity. While the taste was consistend during the 2hours the cigar lasted, it was too light, leaving notes of earth and wood.
To my opinion, I think it would grow to a heavenly cigar when I would leave it aging in my humidor for some time. Too bad I didn't pick up another one ;)

So, conclusion: A really big torpedo shaped cigar, beautiful to behold, soft to hold, great to draw, but too light on the taste. In a few weeks I will light the maduro, of which I expect a great deal!


Geen opmerkingen: