zondag 30 maart 2008

St.Dupont with a glass of Chateau Petit Bocq 2004

A few weeks ago, Thomas arrived at my place, carrying a bottle of red wine. So instead of studying, we decided to enjoy our sunday in a different fashion. He told me he bought the bottle at Magnus, a famous place in Antwerpen for the wine afficionado, it was their 2006 selection of the year.

From the moment I took the first smell, I immediately noticed that it was of great quality! A very refined bouquet,  and after a first sip, this feeling got conformed: this is a top wine! Subtle honey flavors, wild flowers, and a hint of pineapple gave this miraculous drink a hefty kick!

Of course this called for a cigar to match the wine, but not any cigar. No, the cigar of choice had to be a real winner, a top notch cigar which would integrate best with the wine.  A very hard and difficult task indeed! I decided to go with the St. Dupont, which was taking up his space in my humidor for a few weeks now, while I was desperately finding an occasion to smoke it!

IMAGE_215

The band is on the end of the cigar, I dont know it this was intended or not, but I surely thought it was remarkable. The Dupont feels like a charm, it looks lively with a lot of colors on the wrapper.

After a clip, a dry tasting of the cigar confirmed my hopes, this was an excellent cigar to accompany the excellent wine.

IMAGE_217

So, up to the smoking of the cigar. I lit it up, it got on fire very quickly, leaving  a nice gray ash. The smoke was cool, not overwhelming, leaving subtle notes of butter and flowers, and a hint of coco.

IMAGE_219

I ended up smoking it until my fingers almost got burned, a sign this cigar never reaches the point were the fumes become heavy and nasty. I loved it! The taste is never overwhelming, so it leaves a lot of room for the taste of the wine. An ideal companion!

1 opmerking:

Unknown zei

that's interesting to read that.. cigar with wine is the best match... i always go for that.. i have huge collection of cigar and Humidor